top of page


Environmental Health Specialist works all truck wrecks in Saline County that contain food, beverage, or makeup that is utilized by the public. Responsible for protecting public health including administering and enforcing legislation related to restaurants, grocery stores, convenient stores, and temporary food establishments. Inspects all licensed children care facilities annually. Inspects all Saline county hotels for sanitation and fire safety. Investigates on-site sewage complaints.

Basic Requirements
Soup Kitchen

Temporary Food Establishments

A food service establishment that operates for a period of not more than 14 consecutive days in conjunction with a single event or celebration is a temporary food service establishment.
Food cooked in individual private homes may not be served at these events.  All food must be prepared on site or in an approved inspected facility.
Examples of temporary events include: Fairs, festivals, fundraisers, carnivals and dinners or other events sponsored by organizations serving food and is open to the public.
Your event is NOT considered a temporary food service if the food is prepared or provided by members of the group FOR members of the group and their invited guests.
All temporary events have food safety guidelines they must abide by and any temporary event can be inspected by the Saline County Health Department.

Air Quality

Saline County Health Department does not have authority to enforce mold clean-up on personal property. An extensive listing of mold links and telephone numbers has been provided for your information.

Mold likes moist, damp areas to grow. Mold produces tiny spores (as seen in the picture above) that float through the indoor and outdoor air looking for a moist, damp spot to begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet and foods. When excessive moisture or water accumulates indoors, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores indoors; the way to control indoor mold is to control moisture.

Basic Mold Clean-Up
The key to mold control is moisture control. It is important to dry water damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. If mold is a problem in your home, clean up the mold and get rid of the excess water or moisture. Fix leaky plumbing or other sources of water. Wash off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely. Absorbent materials (such as ceiling tiles & carpet) that become moldy may have to be replaced.

Lodging Establishment Inspections

The environmental health section is responsible for conducting annual sanitation inspections in state licensed lodging establishments in Saline County.
The inspections are conducted pursuant to a contract with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services has established new rules pertaining to sanitation and safety standards for lodging establishments. All inspections are conducted pursuant to those standards, which became effective July 1, 2002.

Private Water Supply Wells

The environmental health section provides private water sample collection kits for use by the general public. The kits, which contain a sterile, 100 ml sample bottle, instructions for sample collection and a mailing label addressed to the State Public Health Laboratory are available at the Saline County Health Department. The Sample must be returned to the Health Department by 12:00 PM Monday-Wednesday.The state health lab will analyze samples for the presence of bacteria and mail the test results to the submitting party, usually within seven to ten days. There will be a ten dollar ($10) fee assessed by the lab for this service.

Environmental health staff is available to offer assistance related to sample collection techniques, interpreting water test results and proper procedures for disinfecting contaminated wells when needed. Staff may also collect water samples for individuals under certain circumstances.

Some banks and lending institutions require a well inspection and the collection of a “satisfactory” water sample prior to closing a home loan. The test kits available from our office are for unofficial use only and will be reported as such by the state public health laboratory. The environmental health section does not inspect wells or collect water samples for loan purposes.



Farmer’s markets have historically been a source for fresh fruits and vegetables. As consumer’s wants and needs have evolved so have the goods made available by the marketers. Prior to providing foods for sale at a farmer’s market, the vendor should consult with their local health agency about the requirements that may need to be met to prepare, serve or sell that food


The package of meat must have a mark of inspection from either the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) or MDA. Meat labeled “not for sale” may not be sold at a farmer’s market


All Mobile Food Units are inspected by the Saline County Health Department.  Before opening a mobile unit, a pre-opening inspection must be performed. 



Onsite wastewater treatment systems (OWTS) are a fact of life for people who live in the country or in unincorporated areas. People who purchase or build a house in the country often do not realize what is involved with being a rural homeowner,particularly concerning sewage wastewater. Missouri State law RSMo701.025 701.059prohibits discharge of sewage onto the ground surface, into waterways, lakes or ponds (other than lagoons) or off the property that it serves.On August 28, 2004, RSMo 701.031was amended and now states any person installing OWTS shall be registered to do so by the Department of Health and Senior Services


When there is less than 3 acres and is a single home or business, construction of new OWTS and major modification to existing systems requires an application fee, construction permit, a soil morphology test and approval from the Saline County Health Department. The permit may be obtained from the Saline County Health Department. A DHSS certified soil scientist should analyze the soil properties,which are critical in determining the appropriate design of the OWTS. Where conventional soil absorption systems and lagoons are not suitable, a registered engineer must design the OWTS. You can find a list of soil scientists at the following link:


The Missouri Department of Natural Resources(MDNR) permits facilities that have greater than three thousand gallons of wastewater daily flow or that produce other than “basically domestic” wastewater. In addition, the MDNR regulates all above ground OWTS (lagoons) for properties other than single-family residences.
Developers of subdivisions, mobile home parks, and campgrounds need to be aware of revised regulations governing the selection of OWTS and allowable lot sizes. On March 30, 1999, Missouri revised 10CSR 20 6.030 (Disposal of Wastewater in Residential Housing Developments). Under the revised regulations, developments consisting of seven or more lots that are less than five (5) acres require the MDNR’s approval of the wastewater treatment system before home construction or the sale of any lots.  For information on MDNR permitted facilities contact the Northeast Regional office at 660-385-8000
If you have any questions or need to register as an installer please contact the Saline County Health Department at 660-886-3434 or MO Onsite Sewage Program at 573-751-6095

bottom of page